Math is a challenge for me, but the abstract values and expectations in math theory and law have my attention. No doubt, once we measure something or attempt to qualify it, it changes. Position and momentum are abstract, except at any given fraction of a second. And that’s often gone before it’s realized. It's my desire to influence the way you relate to time and timing through an awareness of interaction. Interaction, even with something so basic and simple as a cup.
For me, working with clay offers opportunities to deliberately experience and exemplify the force of change in a process bound by rules, risks, and rewards. Most of what I make with clay is for every day use. Some forms are sculptural.
My husband, Scott, and I built a large three chamber wood kiln. We fire the kiln with a crew for several days at high temperatures. Predictability is minimal. We spend a week while the kiln cools, after the firing, anticipating the outcome of our collective, collaborative effort.
Our mutual goal is individual works-of-art. There's always treasure. Every firing. Most often that treasure is in the form of valuable lessons.
Even when the results are less than favorable, I am filled with a sense of excitement and discovery that I share, show, and tell. I photograph the process, the potters, and the pots.
The clay, the kiln, the crew, and me - we all make a memory together.
For a brief time, our story is mine.
I am thrilled when someone picks up a cup and perceives a connection. The way I see it, my cup becomes your cup and every time that cup is used, another part of the story continues.
I’m grateful for the privilege to do something I love to do. And delighted that pottery is the reason our paths crossed.
- Strictly Functional Pottery National 2016 Lancaster, PA 9/17/2016-10/22/2016
- KC Tea Bowl National 2016, Kansas City, Missouri 8/26/2016 - 9/ /2016
- Proximity, The Clay Co Op, Rockville, MD 07/09/2016 - 07/25/2016
- It's In the Atmosphere, Hood College, Frederick, MD 5/5/2016-6/12/2016
- Strictly Functional National 2015 Lancaster, PA 9/25/2015-10/31/2015
- Tabletop 2015, The Art League, Alexandria, VA 6/3/2015 - 7/6/2015
- KC Tea Bowl National 2014, Kansas City, Missouri 9/19/2014 - 11/19/2014
- Tabletop 2014, The Art League, Alexandria, VA 6/4/2014 - 7/7/2014
- Twin Cups: National Ceramics Exhibition 2014, MWSU Clay Guild, Saint Joseph, MO 2/28/2014 - 3/28/2014
- International Cup Exhibition at the Clay Studio of Missoula 2014 2/7/2014 - 2/28/2014
- Artifacts from the Inferno Baltimore MD 10/5/2013 - 11/9/2013
- Strictly Functional National 2013 Lancaster, PA 9/14/2013- 11/2/2013
- KC Tea Bowl National 2013, Kansas City, Missouri 8/23/2013 - 9/20/2013
- Tabletop The Art League Gallery, Alexandria, VA 6/6/2013 - 7/1/2013/a>
- By The Ounce The Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft, Louisville, KY 4/5/2013 - 5/5/2013
- Endless Variations II: A Shino Extravaganza Lone Star College, North Harris Fine Arts Gallery, Huston, TX 2/26/2013 - 3/26/2013